[pLog-general] It's about time... pLog 1.0 is out :-)

Benjamin Krause ork at orkland.de
Fri Apr 1 15:24:13 GMT 2005

Hey ..

Oscar Renalias wrote:
> what do you mean when you say "to many lines of coded that are not
> needed for most requests"?

I think a lot of lines of code are loaded and executed that must not
necessariliy be called. If we are going to implement some caching of db
results or
The caching of Smarty will only cache the output. Thats fine, but that's
just one part.. the view. I would like to cache in the business layer as
well. And i dont mean caching within a session, but within the "webapp"
as a whole.
e.g. if you select the newest articles, why not dump the result of the
sql statement to disk and use that result for all requests of all
current session until someone acutally writes something in the db.
there is to much memory neccessary to run pLog and its to slow in its
current state.
I would like to reduce the memory and cputime by eliminating lines of
code that is not needed for the current request. either by caching some
results or by analysing the code and identifying code that is not needed
for the request, but gets loaded anyway.

> I suppose this would come as an end result of implementing your first
> suggestion :-)

yeah :)

> what advantages would Cache_Lite bring to the caching already
> implemented via Smarty? Keep in mind that we don't need with caches
> ourselves but it is left up to Smarty to handle those. We just let
> smarty know that we want to use caching but that's all... Any changes
> to the caching layer should be done to Smarty and that's quite a big
> task in itself (and which I don't think we should undertake)

am i wrong if i think the caching in Smarty is just for the presentation
layer?

ben