[pLog-general] It's about time... pLog 1.0 is out :-)

Oscar Renalias phunkphorce at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 09:42:01 GMT 2005

On Apr 1, 2005 10:33 AM, Benjamin Krause <ork at orkland.de> wrote:
> bcliang wrote:
> > I've been out of touch for almost a month now (tests, interviews,
> > training, etc).  Looks like I got back just in time!  I just svn
> > updated and everything's working smoothly (Apache 1.3, MySQL 4.1, ),
> > or at least I didn't see any errors at first glance.  I didn't need to
> > expand PHP's memory limit beyond the default 8MB, though I did just in
> > case -- I checked and pLog operates pretty close to the limit
> > (somewhere about 7.5 MB).
>
> Hey..
>
> I agree that pLog is far to memory hungry.. esp. in the admin interface.
> i would like to see my duty for the 1.1 release to drastically improve
> memory usage and performance of pLog.
> There are to many SQL selects, to many lines of coded that are not
> needed for most requests. and if you insert a few plugins you can easily
> go beyond the 8M edge.

what do you mean when you say "to many lines of coded that are not
needed for most requests"?

> oscar asked for 1.1 features, that might be my part:
>
> - analyse code for performance and bottlenecks

Agree.

> - speed up the code

I suppose this would come as an end result of implementing your first
suggestion :-)

> - add some advanced caching mechanism like Cache_Like
> (http://pear.php.net/package/Cache_Lite)

what advantages would Cache_Lite bring to the caching already
implemented via Smarty? Keep in mind that we don't need with caches
ourselves but it is left up to Smarty to handle those. We just let
smarty know that we want to use caching but that's all... Any changes
to the caching layer should be done to Smarty and that's quite a big
task in itself (and which I don't think we should undertake)

Oscar