[pLog-general] Help testing

Oscar Renalias oscar at renalias.net
Mon Nov 1 18:01:20 GMT 2004

> - It works correctly with Firefox RC1 under Linux. Sometimes buttons
> remain
> checked.

(another one that doesn't read my messages completely :-D)

> - It doesn't work with Konqueror 3.3.1, it puts the beginning tag at
> the end
> of the selection and it doesn't close the tag. Buttons remain checked
> and
> they appear in reverse order. (see attached screenshot)

I have no idea about Konqueror's inverse order! Anybody with access to
a konqueror browser can help? It works fine in Safari (a distant cousin
of Konqueror after all)

Regarding the problems with the opening and closing tags, this is
modelled after Alex King's quicktags script which is also used as the
primary edition mode in Wordpress. I tried using it but it was too
messy when you had more than one <textarea>s in the same page (it was
actually not working at all!), but this is how it works:

- If there is no text selected, clicking for example the 'b' button
will print the opening '<b>' tag. Clicking it a second time will output
the closing tag '</b>'. When the tag is open, the button will remain
checked (in that sense your screenshots are correct)

- For tags that do not need a closing tag, it will always print the
same tag (case in point: 'br' button)

- If some text has been selected, the behaviour depends on the button.
Buttons like 'b', 'i', or 'u' will simply put the opening tag in the
beginning of the selection and the closing tag in the end of the
selection. Other buttons like the 'anchor' button will use the selected
text as the name of the link and will only ask for the destination of
the link (the 'href' attribute), instead of first asking for the link
text and then for the destination.

But here come the limitations: only IE 5.5 or newer and Firefox/Safari
support dealing with text selections in their DHTML implementations, so
in these browsers it is possible to for example add any character in
any position of the textbox, retrieve and modify the current text
selection, etc.

In the case of less powerful browsers such as Safari, Konqueror, Opera,
Omniweb, etc, it is only possible to append contents to the *end* of
the textarea so for example in the case of the 'u' button in Opera,
clicking it once will append the opening tag '<u>' to the end of the
textarea (no matter where the cursor is) and clicking it twice will
append the closing tag. So in other words, there is nothing we can do
about it...

Hope it is more clear now! ;-)

> - Same problem of Konqueror with Opera 7.54 (Linux), but in this case
> buttons
> appear in the correct order.

Same problem as above, browser limitations :-(

> New <br /> button image should be changed, now it's the same of <b>
> and it's
> confusing.

I know, I just couldn't find anything better :-)

Oscar