[pLog-general] Wiki status

Oscar Renalias phunkphorce at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 14:50:19 GMT 2004

> >> I can do this, a little. Just changing the default template, not
> >> building a new one from ground up.
> >
> > my idea was to take the default one and make changes to that one... It
> > shouldn't be that difficult, we just need to fit the current layout
> > into a <div> of fixed size plus adding the header and footer from the
> > new design.
> Yea, thats easy. I'm not too hot on divs of fixed width, but I can do
> it (I have a 1280 res screen)

well my Powerbook 15" screen is just a bit smaller than that and it
doesn't look bad at all... Besides, very seldom I have Safari/Firefox
stretched from side to side of the screen a so most of the times one
doesn't even notice that it is a fixed layout :)

> > I also had the idea that the different sections in a phpbb forum
> > ("FAQ", "Profile", "Log in", etc) could be additional tabs in the
> > site, in the same way that when you click the "about" link here
> > (http://www.plogworld.net/devel/blog/plog_development_snapshot/page/
> > features)
> > you see a few tabs called "features", "project info", etc.
> Thats easy enough. It'll take some time, but its just editing .tpl
> files (Smarty)

Are you sure? Just checked the phpbb templates and they are not using
smarty, they're just using their own template engine (and a very
simple one, btw, which pretty much only replaces strings)

> > But I'm
> > pretty sure that this would require some extra php code... so let's
> > forget about it for the time being.
> I don't think so. I'll have a look sometime.
> >
> > Anyway, if you're willing to do it, let's start by fitting and
> > tweaking the current layout by putting into the main <div
> > id="page">...</div>. You can get the header and footer markup by
> > looking at the generated code of any of the pages in
> > devel.plogworld.org.
> I get header, but not footer.

What do you mean? Simply browse any of the pages at
http://devel.plogworld.net, look at its code, and the header is all
the upper part up to the <div id="page"> tag. Everything below that
partcular <div> tag is part of the body of the page.

> And why not just use a {php} and include the header and footer incase
> you decide to edit it or something?

Just because phpbb does not use smarty and we cannot really reuse the
smarty templates in phpbb, and neither can we use phpbb templates in
smarty.

I know it's not the best solution (some html code will need to be
duplicated or even triplicated if we decide to also customize the look
of the wiki) but it's the fastest one... I've got no time to hack
phpbb to make it use smarty ;-)

> > Have you got a phpbb installation that you could
> > tinker with?
> What version?

I suppose any 2.x will do, at the moment we're running 2.0.11 as far
as I remember.

Oscar