[pLog-general] Newbie-Question: are nested categories possible

Oscar Renalias oscar at renalias.net
Mon Jan 8 13:36:46 GMT 2007

On 1/8/07, Sacha Vorbeck <sacha at wunderkessel.de> wrote:
> Hello Oscar,
>
> > Nested categories are unfortunately not possible and we have no plans
> > to implement them either.
>
> thanks for your quick reply. Would this be possible as a plug-in by a
> third-party if I sponsor them? Maybe this is a RTFM, I haven`t dived
> into the wiki yet.

I don't see an easy way to turn this into a plugin, you would need
plenty of changes both at the core level and at the UI level.

However if you would like to pursue this as a personal project we will
be more than glad to help you and possibly integrate the feature in
the core of Lifetype in a future release. It's not that we don't find
it useful, it's just that there is little time and too many things to
work on and we have to prioritize things a bit... Now if somebody else
would work on it, we would be very happy :-)

> Btw.: I noticed that there is a trend of merging forums and blogs to
> make communities more effective and useful.
> http://www.invisionboard.com/blog/ and http://www.vblogetin.com/ are two
> examples. If you`d team up with e.g. phpBB I think that would be a good
> idea. I guess you`re aware of all that, just wanted to share my thoughts.

Have you had a look at the concept of user data providers? While they
not provide the same level of integration as any of the tools linked
above, you can also have your phpbb2 or joomla users create a blog
automatically and effortlessly.

There's other possibilities to integrate blogs and forums, such as the
automatic creation of a forum post every time an article is posted in
the blog (like the "discuss" link in the arstechnica articles), etc.