[pLog-general] Your thoughts on 1.1

Michael Paluchowski paluchowski at post.pl
Mon Apr 11 15:49:43 GMT 2005

> my idea is to shorten the development cycle, even if that means
> bothering users with upgrades to their installations every 2-3
> months.

That's a good idea for the PR - shorter dev cycle keeps an image of a
project being really alive, but I'm already shaking thinking about
upgrading pLog too often. So there really needs to be some compromise
between the wish for more frequent updates and less frequent
upgrading.

Although I think the biggest pain would be breaking template
compatibility too often. That's the thing every user would have to
correct on his own (whilst database upgrades can be achieved by a
wizard). So as for me thumbs up, as long as the templates keep on
working.

> Believe me, these changes are so promising that they are enough to
> warrant a new release.

That is good news.

> Since users only care about new features,

Well, not all of them :) After all blogs are about genuine content and
not about the site's features.

> we can take Ben's improvements, throw in some smaller candy features
> for users to be happy and we have a 1.1 release.

Well, I suppose that's OK, although I really wouldn't mind a
performance upgrade only version.

> - new screens to see all trackbacks and comments.

Ah, hmm... more details please? Doesn't sound too exciting.

> - everything searchable in the admin backend, so that we can search
> categories, users or even links (useful when we've got a lot of
> pages full of these items)

Not bad. "I remember writing something some time ago, now where was
it...", righ on :)

> - possibilty to upload new files through the pop-up window that
> allows to insert resources to posts in the "new post" page.

Shortens publishing time, not bad.

> - integration of the anti-spam filter with trackbacks.

Yes, that's good. I was quite suprised to see my blog posts suddenly
having several trackbacks, at least until I saw those. Pure spam.

> Other big features such as 'friends list', moblogging or integration
> with other tools such as phpbb, vbulletin or mambo will have to
> wait.

Oh no, please no community features... how about code cleanup? Less
warnings? :)

> Basically because of the reasons described above, because I don't
> feel so motivated anymore and because it's time to allow new people
> to join the team and bring new energy. So if anybody wants to take
> these challenges and work on them, be my guest. If not, then we'll
> have to wait.

Right now I feel pLog is _the_ tool it's suppose to be. Really, no new
features needed because in the end it's only the content that matters
and pLog's only there to show it to the world.

What I would love to see being worked on is "more power to the
poeple", or designers in this case :) I'd really love to have more
control over the form of the calendar for example. So maybe more
flexible template components?

--
 Michael Paluchowski
   mailto:paluchowski at post.pl