[pLog-general] It's about time... pLog 1.0 is out :-)

Oscar Renalias phunkphorce at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 06:19:03 GMT 2005

On Apr 1, 2005 5:25 AM, bcliang <bcliang at gmail.com> wrote:
> Congratulations, Oscar and the rest of the team!
>
> I've been out of touch for almost a month now (tests, interviews,
> training, etc).  Looks like I got back just in time!  I just svn
> updated and everything's working smoothly (Apache 1.3, MySQL 4.1, ),
> or at least I didn't see any errors at first glance.  I didn't need to
> expand PHP's memory limit beyond the default 8MB, though I did just in
> case -- I checked and pLog operates pretty close to the limit
> (somewhere about 7.5 MB).

yep, we're quite close to the limit... I am not sure if future
versions will put the current memory usage even further or if
fortunately, 7.5mb is our upper limit. Let's see (though I am sure
that we will receive bug reports about this)

> I downloaded the comms kit, and it's pretty nice.  However, I do
> believe there could be a bit of polishing done before the press drive
> happens monday.  I particularly like the press release and the
> presentation slides are nice as well, but the short press release
> seems like you took the regular press release and just hacked away a
> couple paragraphs and put the results together.  The features pdf
> looks good, though I haven't really had time to sit down and actually
> read all the way through it.  There are a TON of images in the
> Promotional Images folder -- which one(s) have been selected as the
> major advertising ones?  Some seem to be more geared to fit into site
> designs, while others appear to be just for announcements, and still
> more are banner ads.

yeah I also found the brief press release to be less than good... I
was going to use it in plogworld.net but then I realized that it does
not really mention any of the new features in 1.0 so I went ahead and
typed some new text.

But if you've got better ideas, please send them to either me or to
the list so that we can all comment on them :-)

About banners and images, it is up to users to decide which one to use
as long as it fits into their current site design and it points back
to plogworld.net.

> Last couple issues:  I did receive your emails regarding the Port
> plugin.  I haven't looked at it since it was written, but from what I
> remember, creating configurations for other SQL-based blogging
> software solutions is a piece of cake.  I'll look into that this
> weekend.

after the major issue concerning WP using their pagerank to generate
money through adsense
(http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/03/31/196220&tid=217), I think
that a WP converter is the first one to target since we can benefit
from that (in terms of new users)

If you need any help, let me know.

> The wiki is sorely in need of upkeep.  I took a look and it
> is simply not keeping pace with the rest of development.  While I was
> able to see pretty much all technical specs through doxygen, the wiki
> really was not useful for much else than the installation information,
> and plugin details section.  Maybe a bit of work before Monday?

the wiki... aah same ol' problem :-) Most of the stuff you can see
there is either moved from the old wiki or new stuff written by me for
developers. At the moment I think we have the documentation for
developers pretty well covered (all you need to know about plugins,
classes, validators and whatnot is there) as well as some topics
concerning site administrators (usage of subdomains, custom urls,
caching, etc)

What we're lacking is end-user stuff, such as a clear description of
each one of the features and how they work (how to add a post, how to
use categories, custom links, etc) That's a big task and we would need
help in that area... No way we can get it ready by Monday :-(

If we could organize a team and agree on a site structure to work on
and share the workload, I'm all for it.

Oscar