[pLog-general] Database indexes (testing needed)

Francesc Pla francesc at qdevel.com
Mon Nov 15 17:40:23 GMT 2004

Hi,

I made some testing of the indexing modifications I've made last week, here's
a very short report of the results.

Scenario 1:
 - A blogging community with ~2600 users.
 - Dedicated server but running other services.
 - Database & Webserver on the same machine.

It has improved on almost all loading times, improvements are clearly
noticeable.

---

Scenario 2:
 - A blogging community with ~720 users.
 - Shared hosting.
 - Database & Webserver on different machines.

Improvements are not noticeable at all. Having database and webserver on
different machines can be the cause.

---

Scenario 3:
 - A blogging community with ~150 users.
 - Dedicated server but running other services.
 - Database & Webserver on the same machine.

More speed loading summary stuff, it was a little bit slower than usual
(server is running several services) and now it loads very quickly.

---

As you can see results are promising except in scenario 2 (I haven't make any
thorough investigation about it yet) so I encourage everybody to use the new
indexes in their databases. And feedback will be appreciated of course. ;)

Francesc.