[pLog-general] Notes, quesitions and comments

Nicholas Gerakines nick at socklabs.com
Wed Nov 3 21:53:40 GMT 2004

>> * Still havn't uncovered how to use plugin objects in the templates.
>> $karma->Xxx is broken and returns error.
>

> The karma plugin now works a bit differently than before, since it uses
> three custom fields to store the karma score of a post: one for positive
> votes, one for negative votes and a checkbox that tells whether the post
> is modded down or not. Try to checkout the plugins module and enable the
> karma plugin. In order to fetch the karma scores of a post,
> {$post->getFieldValue("positiveKarma")} and
> {$post->getFieldValue("negativeKarma")} will do. Also manually changing
> the karma scores has become now as easy as changing the values of the
> custom fields in the "edit post" page.

I see what you mean. Before though we had karma.php which I can see has
been replaced with custom actions. In the karma plugin we have the
function to create the link used to vote. When I try calling it with the
id of karma, aka $karma->function, it says the object does not exist. Am
I missing the obvious?

>> * Monthly, aka archive, links is working. Much easier. I've removed
>> links to category views because of the huge amount of resources it
>> uses when trying to pull all 300+ articles from a catagory. Paging
>> plugin sounds sexy.
>

> I don't understand this... Wasn't it working before? Was there any
> problem with it?

Ahh. Before it was returning the link <$sitebase>/Object instead of
<$sitebase>/archives/x/x.

I have a few categories with 300+ posts that are a a big load on my
server any time someone views that particular category. I'm using the
archives links and creating the catagory links as plain text. Hope that
makes sense.

>> * Havn't tried subdomains but its on the agenda.
>

> I'm really interested in people testing this one!! Please let me know
> when/if available for testing this.

Will make time this weekend to really play with it.

>> * Register.php is missing, is that no longer in use?
>

> It's been merged with summary.php (which has also been expanded and
> improved :))

>> * Feature request for function to only pull article text after the
>> extended text seperator. Didn't see it in there. That way we could
>> also use the intro/brief text area as a article summary/preview that
>> isn't shown when the full article is viewed.
>

> Can you elaborate a bit more? Do you mean something like
> Article::getExtendedPostText()? You can always change your templates so
> that main.template shows the intro text while post.template shows the
> extended text only.

Exactly. I didn't see a function like $article->getExtendedPostText(),
if its there I'll look harder. I'd like to make my templates use the
pre-break post text as type of article summary and only show the
extended text in the actual post template. Won't be hard to modify the
main page and post.template pages.

>> I think thats it for now. Have questions? Please ask! I'm liking it
>> alot so far and look forward to an official release.
>

> I'm really interested in testing the subdomain features, to really see
> if they work. Also I've been thinking on carrying out some load and
> stress tests to see how the system will handle it... I think we can find
> some ready made scripts here:
> http://forum.mamboserver.com/showthread.php?t=11782
>
> Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it :)

Always welcome. Its looking real nice so far. For the record I'm
averaging about 55k hits a month and after changing to the devel source
the load has been a bit lighter. I'll conduct some _real_ stress and
load tests and let you know.

~ Nick