[pLog-general] Reserving Username.

Zaid B. Amireh zamireh at albawaba.com
Thu Sep 22 09:04:09 GMT 2005

Thanks for the tip, here is what I did, I first created a simple script
that checks the mail db.

#!/usr/bin/php
<?php

        $username = $argv[1];
        $ret = 1;

        $connection = mysql_connect('db-machine','sso', 'password');

        if( $connection == false )
                exit(0);        //assume the worse

        mysql_select_db('vpopmail', $connection);

        $sql = "SELECT * FROM user WHERE us_name LIKE
'{$username}@fqdn.com'";

        if( !($result = mysql_query( $sql, $connection )))
                exit(0);        //assume the worse

        if( mysql_num_rows($result) > 0 ){
                $ret = 0;
                exit($ret);             //found username!
        }

        exit($ret);
?>

and in class/summary/action/dousercreation.class.php I changed the code
that validates the username

// SSO checking for an already taken username
exec("/usr/local/bin/validate_mail_user.php $this->userName", $output,
$return_value);

// check if there is already a user with the same username and quit if so
$users = new Users();
if( $users->userExists( $this->userName ) || ($return_value == 0) ) {
    $this->_view = new SummaryUserCreationView();
    //$this->_form->hasRun( true );
    $this->_form->setFieldValidationStatus( "userName", false );
    $this->setCommonData( true );
    return false;
}

I know that this is very ugly but its a beta testing stage and I don't
have much time to invest into this issue.

thank you all for your comments

with regards

Zaid Amireh