[pLog-general] blog categories (from forum)

bcliang bcliang at gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 19:21:49 GMT 2005

Hi guys,

I checked the forum yesterday, and wow look at the new flurry of
activity!  Anyways, I read a suggestion about blog categories and had
to wonder -- how difficult could it be to implement something like
this?  I know this is something that would surely be available in 1.1,
but why have custom fields only for posts in 1.0?

The idea of custom fields for blogs is interesting from a community
perspective.  with built-in indexing, it should be much simpler to
accomodate several highly requested features -- a "friends list" is
easily implemented here, as is a blog category listing (and similarly
a "blog ring" system for like-minded people -- perhaps listed by user
-- which I notice is already possible).  While none of these should be
implemented into core coding, using the plugin architecture to access
and modify custom fields in this sense is a lot easier than having
each plugin create its own data tables.

Is this just a personal preference, or does modifying the custom
fields to be accessible by any core class object create more problems
than I am envisioning?  One table to hold all custom fields, and one
generic object to retrieve the applicable fields and insert into
presentation.

By the way, I have my php.ini set for 8mb cache and haven't had
problems, though I have not updated code since early december from
svn.

--
bcliang_at_gmail_dot_com