[pLog-general] Your thoughts on 1.1

Mark Wu mark.wu at markplace.net
Tue Apr 12 10:25:05 GMT 2005

How about mass edit to
- Post
- Comments
- Trackbacks
- Resource
- Links

:D

-----Original Message-----
From: plog-general-bounces at devel.plogworld.net
[mailto:plog-general-bounces at devel.plogworld.net] On Behalf Of Oscar
Renalias
Sent: Monday, April 11, 2005 6:50 PM
To: plog-general at devel.plogworld.net
Subject: [pLog-general] Your thoughts on 1.1

Hello,

just wanted to know your opinion about 1.1.

I was thinking that the development cycle for 1.0 was way too long and
exhausting and that the amount of changes was too big (the amount of bugs
has proven to be proportional to the amount of changes
introduced) That's probably one of the reasons why we have had so many
support requests in the forums so my idea is to shorten the development
cycle, even if that means bothering users with upgrades to their
installations every 2-3 months.

Ben has already started to work on improving the performance in 1.1 and the
results are more than promising even though work on that front will
continue. Although I never thought that pLog is slow when using the right
setup, any performance improvement is good :-) Believe me, these changes are
so promising that they are enough to warrant a new release.

Since users only care about new features, we can take Ben's improvements,
throw in some smaller candy features for users to be happy and we have a 1.1
release.These are some of the smallish features that I have in mind:

- new screens to see all trackbacks and comments.

- everything searchable in the admin backend, so that we can search
categories, users or even links (useful when we've got a lot of pages full
of these items)

- possibilty to upload new files through the pop-up window that allows to
insert resources to posts in the "new post" page.

- integration of the anti-spam filter with trackbacks.

Other big features such as 'friends list', moblogging or integration with
other tools such as phpbb, vbulletin or mambo will have to wait.
Basically because of the reasons described above, because I don't feel so
motivated anymore and because it's time to allow new people to join the team
and bring new energy. So if anybody wants to take these challenges and work
on them, be my guest. If not, then we'll have to wait.

Any comments?

Oscar