[pLog-general] Re: news from the amazon.com issue

Oscar Renalias phunkphorce at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 07:06:56 GMT 2005

It's indeed nice because it sounded like Amazon wanted to settle this
in a friendly way. They said they'll provide us with the money needed
to get the new domains, transfer the old ones, etc, as well as even
purchase gifts so that we can organize a competition with a prize
amongst our users to choose a new name. Not to mention that we could
also use this as free publicity.

However, I just sent an email to the EFF (Electronic Frontiers
Foundation) because I'd like to know the legal background on this. I
am an EU citizen and I am not sure if US trademarks can affect me
(us?) and if Amazon has any legal grounds to do what they're doing.
It's been a lot of hard work to become recognized by the word "plog"
and throwing everything down the drain... doesn't sound too good.

Let's see what Amazon says about their proposal and what the EFF has
to say about it. And then we'll decide.

I will keep you all posted.

Oscar