[pLog-general] Wiki status

Nick Gerakines nick at socklabs.com
Sat Dec 11 18:59:02 GMT 2004

Oscar Renalias wrote:

> First of all, I've given systop status to both you and Brad.
>
> Second, regarding the structure... I like the idea of separating things
> in version but I think that the current version should be always on the
> front page so for example if we now base the contents of the wiki on
> 0.3.2, then the "Todo List", "Documentation", "Usage" sections would
> appear right away in the front page. When 1.0 is released and we update
> the wiki contents, then all the old sections would be moved to plog
> 0.3.2/Todo list, plog 0.3.2/Documentation etc while the front page would
> have the updated sections for 1.0.

Mediawiki allows us to have dynamic wiki includes. I created a templated called 'Current
Version' and when ever the current version changes we just change the wiki. As of now it
says 'PLog 0.3.2'. On the main page I added a section on the current version and have the
dynamic includes to display the wiki links of whichever current version there is. See for
your self for more info. Its kinda hard to explain.

> I'm suggesting this because it would save users time if all contents are
> there, facing users right away.
>
> By the way, one important question: are we going to write about 0.3.2 or
> 1.0? If I had to choose, I would write about 1.0... It's almost
> feature-complete and it would be nice to have updated documentation by
> the time 1.0 is out!

Writing about 1.0 is a good idea. I think the focus should be on 1.0 and having good
documentation for its release. I do also think that since 0.3.2 is still widely used we
should have a good section of docs for it as well.

> Also if we use Nick's proposal as the strucutre:

This is my new strucutre for each plog release. Questions? Comments? Flames?

1 About this Version
1.1 Status
2 Documentation
2.1 Installation
2.2 Users
2.3 Admin
2.4 Developers
2.4.1 Todo List
2.4.2 Themes
2.4.3 Plugins

> I will suggest a few changes and make a few questions :)
>
> - Why don't we add a section called "Installation" so that it can be
> clearly seen? (it should probably go on top as the first one) It was
> probably one of the most visited pages in the old wiki!

There is a section for installation. Its the first subsection in documentation. I forgot
to mention it in my last email.

> - What would go into "Documentation"? Or what's the difference between
> "Documentation" and "Usage"?

Im changing usage to 3 main sections. Users, Admin and Developers.

> - I would rename "Developer Usage" as just "Developers" or "For
> developers". I suppose I could add there all the stuff related to
> developing plugins, actions, views, object model, etc.

Done, see above. Will create appropiate sub sections.

> - I would move "Todo list" away from the top to either inside
> "Developers" or to the bottom of the list...

Changed, good idea.

> What do you think?
>
> Regarding locking pages and so on, I agree. Let's try not to receive too
> much spam this time :-) Also regarding things like the "discussion"
> pages, are they really needed? In addition to the mailing lists, forums
> and project blog, do we really want people to leave comments in the
> wiki? In my opinion we shoulnd't, I think that there are enough ways for
> people to express their opinions and that we don't need such feature in
> the wiki...

Consider this done. We should probly lock down all of the primary pages. If users want to
make comments they can do it in the forum or message on of us.

I'm starting to think of this as a developer wiki that other people can access as read
only. It counts as really good documentation because its strait from the developers but we
lock most of the information down to official users only.

~ Nick